05 February 2009

Bipolar Disorder - are you or aren't you?

The question remains the same, are you or aren't you one of those who suffer this type of mental distress - mania and depression or bipolar disorder. In my way of experience, I had had a nervous tension due to educational misinterpretation. Way back my high school life, when I wasyet 14, I reaped the fruit of my elementary excess of Cola drinks. I will not enumerate what their brands are. I never had any illness during my elementary school days.

Talking about my high school days, I only knew that the cause of my distress was my tension of school assignments. I worried of having no assignments when I entered to the subjects requiring it . And therefore I was afraid. This fear was psychologically mislooked, even with my parents who were never into this kind of attitude during their school years. I perceived during my college days that my high school disease was far more different than my college illness which I may call "over fatigue or mental stress." Why I differentiated the high school illnessfrom my college one? Because I did not labor during my high schoolo years whereas in my first step to college which was in the year 1996, prior to that I did help in renovating our home which occurred during the summer months (Philippine season). So, the cycle continued of having "mental stress" because of too much "attention" to my course which was "Accountancy." By the time I was hospitalized in 1997 or rather when I was again in the mood of having sleepless nights and tiresome thoughts in 2007, perhaps I shall accept now that "Bipolar Disorder" was the proper term for that (2007) and not so in my ill health of 1997. In 1999, weather affectations caused me some "sleepless" nights. In the year 2001, my mother departed and it grieved my heart and therefore cause me again"grave" depression. In 2003, my grandfather died the same month January. And therefore I suffered from an "intense" depression. But the cure was just my binding again to GOD. I accepted the christian faith in the year 2002. Five years have passed when trouble with a physical brother mixed with work stress as a teacher I tasted some sleepless nights but not in a way as having me going to a hospital again.

Anyway, I never diapprove consulting to a psychiatrist. But because we far a ship away from my 1997 Psychiatrist in Cebu, my christian brother recommended another one, a male psychiatrist and as his advise went on, I didn't have to quit my teaching career being a librarian also.

I hope that some of you here will not be discouraged of your good intentions and goals in life. Even if you don't want to become a christian as I am, just know what you are, look to where you fell and listen to advices of professional doctors, authors and clostest friends and relatives.

Again, try to watch out for the correct diet that your body needs though it's hard for me too and right now I am just looking for signs. Study also about neurology and consult some helpful websites like this. Exercise also helps.



Very truly yours,



Rholu D. Augusto

No comments:

This is my official blog.